We bought Sleeping Queens today at B & N for 50% off and played three games tonight. My kids really dig this one.
Here’s the breakdown.
Components: cards of three types – queens, power, number
There are 12 queen cards and each has a number of points on it. These cards are the ‘victory points’ of the game. You play until some gets 5 queens or 50 points in queen cards. They are set out in the middle of the table (or floor) face down. They are asleep at this point. There is one special queen, The Rose Queen, who allows you to choose another queen in the same turn.
Power cards – There are several types of power cards, kings, knights, dragons, sleeping potions, jesters, and wands. Playing a king awakens a queen which you then place in front of you. Knights steal queens from other players. Dragons stop the knights. Sleeping potions put other players back to sleep, returning them to the board. Wands cancel the potions. Jesters allow you to turn over the top card of the draw pile. If it is a power card, you keep it and get another turn. If a number cards, you count around the players, starting with you, the number on the card. The last player counted gets to draw a queen.
Number cards – these are used mainly to generate new cards into your hand. They are discarded as singles, two of a kinds, or an addition equation (a 1, a 2, and a 3, 1+2=3).
Play: Set up the queens. Shuffle the deck and deal 5 cards to each player. Choose the start player. Play a card and do what its action indicates. Then draw back up to 5 cards in your hand.
That is it.
How our games went:
This was fun. My kids immediately took to it. There is some ‘take that’ fun with the knights, dragons, potions, and wands. The jesters add a bit of mystery and suspense because you don’t know what card will turn up or who will get to ‘awaken’ a queen if it is a number. The Rose Queen really livened things up and was put back to sleep as soon as she appeared. We had to house rule that part though because everyone knew where she was. So we shuffled several of the queens together with her then laid them all back out to conceal her place. The art on the cards is great. Whimsical but clear and colorful. My son kept looking for the Fire King, his favorite.
All in all this was a real winner for us and we will play it often.
- A Conversation About Durance With Jason Morningstar and Steve Segedy of Bully Pulpit Games
- Under The Microscope - Rat-A-Tat Cat
- A Conversation With...Jason Morningstar
- A Conversation With...Stonemaier Games' Alan Stone and Jamey Stegmaier
- A Conversation with Michael Coe, the designer of Dungeon Heroes and founder of Crash Games
- Under The Microscope - If I'm Going Down...
The Cloud5th Street Games API battleground: fantasy warfare Belfort Bellwether Games bully pulpit games Canon Puncture Cary Grant clever mojo games comatose contest crash games dice hate me Dice Tower Dread Drop Site Durham 3 eloy lasanta Eminent Domain eruption Family Night fear the boot feedback Fiasco Gameathonapocaloozafestacon Game Design Game Night GamerChris games game salute Gamewright Gaming gaming. cons Go Forth And Game gozer games Hitchcock homesteaders hypermind If I'm Going Down... indie Indie Press Revolution interview JAB Jason Morningstar Kickstarter Kids macao MACE mermaid adventures movie my happy farm Myriad Games Out of Character pandemic princes of the dragon throne print and play PTA Pulp Gamer review role playing rpg Savage Worlds small box games startup fever stratus games tasty minstrel tasty minstrel games The Game's The Thing The Spiel third eye games TMG Top Ten Van Ryder Games What I Played your move games
- @CBJPodcast Awesome idea. 1 hour ago
- @FlashForwardCo The queue is kind of full at the moment but we can slot it in if you don't mind waiting a bit. 1 hour ago
- ...@jasonkotarski and maybe another one or two. 2 hours ago
- I'm hoping for a day of playtesting. There's Duck Blind, Acrobats, Hunting Dice, Cottage Industry from @CardboardEdison , Dead Drop from... 2 hours ago
- Wait, there's one more - drivethrucards.com/product/111538… cause @bullypulpit_hq make awesome games. 2 hours ago
Here Are The Most Recent Posts